As part of my weight-loss venture, I've been trying to find ways to reduce my carbohydrate intake without giving up on all of the foods I love. Pizza is one of my favorite dishes! This recipes uses almond flour to replace some of the bread flour, but not all of it. So, if you are looking for a gluten-free recipe, this is not it.
Almond flour gives the crust a nutty taste, plus reduces the number of carbs by almost half. Almond flour also has other benefits, since it will provide many of the same nutrients you would receive from eating whole almonds. In most cases, almond flour can replace wheat flour. However, I would recommend you experiment with it before you actually make a big batch of something!
Here's the recipe I've been using:
Almond Flour Pizza Dough
1-2/3 cups Water, 80 ͦF/27 ͦC
2 tablespoons Oil
2 tablespoons Sugar
2 teaspoons Salt
2 tablespoons Dry Milk (powder)
2 cups Almond Flour
2-1/2 cup Bread Flour
2 packages Active Dry Yeast
***If you have a Bread Machine, simply place all ingredients in machine and run on “pizza dough” cycle.
- Wisk together Sugar, Salt, Dry Milk, Almond Flour, Bread Flour and Yeast.
- Add Oil and Water to dry mixture until well incorporated. If dough is too sticky, add more flour one tablespoon at a time.
- Scrape out onto a floured board and gently knead into a well formed ball.
- Place into a large greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place to allow it to double in size (about 1 hour).
- Turn dough out onto a floured board. At this point, you can either choose to divide it into two parts to make two large thin crust pizzas, or one large thick crust pizza.
- Then use your favorite pizza recipe to add toppings of your choice. And Enjoy! Delicous!