Friday, August 12, 2011

My Thoughts on: Rude Customers

You would think that because I blog about sales and bargains, that my focus would be on the cashier....well, that's not where I'm going with this.  My intent is to talk about the customer.  While I was putting myself through college many years ago, I worked at Target for approximately 9 years as a cashier.  I met customers from all walks of life.  Most of them were the kindest people I had ever met, some had no personality that I could see, and then there were those that were downright rude.  (I actually had a customer shove me when she didn't get what she wanted!)

So, where am I going with this you might ask?  Well, I'm on the other side of the counter now (literally) and I always keep in mind my personal experience with customers.  I make every effort to ensure that I don't become one of those customers that I would of loved to have avoided at all cost.

Throughout my "frugal" career, I have come to know many of the cashiers that work at the different establishments I visit on a personal basis.  I have come to learn that many of these cashiers are being held directly responsible for any fraud that may be committed by customers coming in with fraudulent coupons or for being careless when processing customer orders.  They are being told that they need to run these orders through with "eagle eyes". 

Recently, many retailers are finding a larger number of individuals using coupons.  Many have been influenced by the Extreme Couponing series, others are using them out of pure necessity.  Regardless, there are many couponers out there who have no clue how to ethically use coupons and are either purposely, or not, using coupons incorrectly.  Due to this, some retailers are changing their policies and the cashiers are not being kept in the loop.  Although it is true that some cashiers may not be aware of their own store policy regarding coupons, it is our responsibility to ensure that we educate ourselves so that we can provide some pertinent information to help process our own orders. 


So, next time you go in to a store and you are having trouble, don't blame the cashier.  You need to first make sure that it was not you that had made the mistake (I have misread a few coupons in my time).  Make sure you are also up to date with the store's coupon policy, that you have read it and that  you understand it plus have a printed copy with you each time you visit the store.  Finally, really think it through - is it really worth fighting over a $1 coupon?  or is it easier to have them remove the item from your tab? (Something I've chosen to do instead.)  However, if you are having real issues with the cashier, don't take it up with them - talk to their supervisor instead. 

With that said, next time you go in to a store put yourself on the other side of the counter.