Saturday, August 6, 2011

My Thoughts On: Netflix's Price Hike

After about one month of being informed of Netflix's intent to raise their prices for the services they offer, I am still seething!  I have been a customer since 2005 and am so disappointed with their actions.  Our community is so small that we don't have a single video rental place, Blockbuster, or Red Box. 

I was about to submit my cancellation when I noticed they had a clause stating that the cancellation would be effective immediately and that they would not refund for partial months.  Aside from robbing us on the rates, now they want to rob us of the remaining amount left on our account?  I, for one, will not stand for this type of highway robbery.  My next cycle begins on August 12th, but I have set up a calendar reminder to cancel my account on August 11th. 

As I was thinking through the entire Netflix situation, I learned that through our regional public library system I have access to just about any movie I want!  If our local library doesn't have it, they can get it from any of the other networked library systems.  (Thanks, Jocelyn!)  So, in preparation for the upcoming cancellation I have printed out my Netflix Queue and will use it to begin requesting my movies.

So, ADIOS Netflix, hello public library!