Monday, June 6, 2011

My Thoughts On: Stylin Binder Patterns



A few months back, I stumbled across the Stylin Binder on a blog.  Stylin Binders are binder covers made to look like a handbag.  Because of their appearance, they are a discreet way of carrying your coupons around.  They offer a ready made bag in numerous fabric patterns.  You also have the option to purchase a pattern for $9 to make your own.

Being that I am a skilled seamstress, I chose to purchase the pattern.  I received it within 5 days in the form of a PDF file to my e-mail.  To say the least, I was slightly disappointed that I did not receive an actual pattern, but instructions and measurements for the various pieces to be cut.  As I looked over the instructions, I could see that the task was not going to be as easy as I thought.  However, I was up to the challenge.

The first thing I noticed was that the instructions do not state which direction to cut the pieces if you had a specific pattern on your pattern.  I found myself looking the image over several times, as well as rereading the the instructions to determine the direction to mark the pattern pieces.

Once I had the pieces marked and cut, I began to piece them together.  This part I was able to handle.  I have to say, however, that the instructions seemed to be written for someone with more than an intermediate level of sewing expertise.  I'll also have to add at this point that the author failed to mention that it is very important to zigzag your edges, otherwise you will begin to see the edges of your seams frayed.

Near the end of the project, it was assumed that the seamstress knew how the handles were to lay.  The pattern figure was not very clear and no where was it noted that the the handles had to lay in a very specific way in order to "work" properly once the bag was completed.


In the end, I am very pleased with my bag.  I am glad I took on the challenge and was able to muddle through some of the steps that were to be inferred.  I love how my bag turned out.  It truly makes me feel all "warm and fuzzy" inside when I see the expression on other people's faces.  Most importantly, I love the fact that my husband is no longer embarrassed to carry my binder around in the cart!

If you're interested in making your own bag, or buying one, you can go HERE to Stylin Binders to check out their designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!